domingo, 24 de julio de 2016
Mummy coffin of Pedusiri, detail of the chest area, including the goddess Nut with outstreched wings, in plastered, polychromed, and gilded wood, Egyptian late dynastic or early Greco-Roman period, circa 500 - 25 B.C.E. Milwaukee Art Museum, Wisconsin
Fragment of an ivory label showing pharaoh Den, wearing the double crown of Upper and Lower Egypt. Originally from Abydos, Umm el Qaab, tomb T (Tomb of Horus Den). Now in the Egyptian Museum. Undoubtedly this representation of Horus Den marks an advance in regard to the iconography of the double crown. Remains of the original color, used for painting the label, still visible on top of the white crown and sides of the red crown. bibliography: Petrie, W.M.Flinders. 1901. The royal tombs of the first dynasty. Part II, p.21, pl. X.13; XIV.7-7a.
The heiroglyph "Keftiu" is named in the Cartouche (oval enclosure below the figure). The figure is one of nine figues, "The Nine Bows" (which vary) Here each of the Nine Bows are depicted the same way, a Syrian type is repeated nine times not a Keftiu but intended here to represent a generic foreign enemy. Below each of these nine generic foreigners is a different heiroglyphic name of a foreign enemy. This photo was taken at II. Ramses' Temple at Abydos, on the NW corner of the peristyle yard
Nine Bows) Ramesses II at Abydos.
sábado, 23 de julio de 2016
TWO BOOKS FOR ONE LADY, The mother of Herihor rediscovered