viernes, 28 de diciembre de 2012

Zawiyet Umm el-Rakham

Zawiyet Umm el-Rakham (literally "the resthouse of the mother of vultures")[1] is located on the North coast of Egypt 20 km to the west of Marsa Matruh, and about 300 km to the west of Alexandria[2]
During the reign of Ramesses II, it was the location of a major fortress-town which probably marked the western extent of direct Egyptian influence.[3]
It was discovered in 1948 and in the subsequent years was sporadically examined by Alan Rowe and Labib Habachi. Since 1994 extensive excavations have been undertaken at the site by a team from the University of Liverpool under the direction of Steven Snape